Here is an attempt to capture moments of my reality... A diary of the very things I never pay attention to - uncensored and rough. Thoughts and details I would never think of adding or dwell on... It's probably the most boring thing to do, but I'm still trying to figure out the meaning of absolutely everything in the world and so it is I have to start somewhere (which would be me)... It's a little experiment, really. I am, after all, always ready to become my own guinea pig to push the boundless limits of my mind.

Sunday 26 September 2010

It just went past midnight... I'm sitting in bed with my laptop on my lap, in the darkness the light of a candle breaks.

There are a few reasons, it seems, why dwelling on the past is harmful. I used to do it a lot, and it led me nowhere. I wondered why that was and I think one main reason it's so pointless is that of shifting perspective. Depending on what the mind will select as memories to base its conclusions on, the whole perspective can vary greatly, and you never get something complete or true, you only get the glimpse of a view at a certain time and place. As soon as further memories are added to the mix, the conclusions change or vary accordingly.

The only difference between what is past and a mere dream is that the past is invariably linked to the present, and while one can wake up from a dream and easily dismiss it for what it is (something that was never 'real') the past becomes the realm of memories... But what is the difference between a mere dream - that which remains within the confines of the mind - and memories, which also remain in the confines of the mind?...

What makes memories any more reliable or important than the dreams we have and forget all at once as soon as we wake up?

Perhaps it is the emotional link we attach to each memory that creates the stark distinction; yet I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to train oneself to severe such links so that in effect, any memory we wish to dismiss as a dream can be dismissed as such.

There is truly nothing certain or remotely accurate about remembering the past, and for a mind so intent on Truth, this lack of accuracy bothers me greatly. Talking about the past is like giving opinions... Shifting perspective ensures far too often that our recollection depends solely on selective memories that fail to express the whole picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment