Here is an attempt to capture moments of my reality... A diary of the very things I never pay attention to - uncensored and rough. Thoughts and details I would never think of adding or dwell on... It's probably the most boring thing to do, but I'm still trying to figure out the meaning of absolutely everything in the world and so it is I have to start somewhere (which would be me)... It's a little experiment, really. I am, after all, always ready to become my own guinea pig to push the boundless limits of my mind.

Monday 18 October 2010

18/10/2010

Had a relatively early night last night, which means I was asleep by 1am. I couldn't sleep for a while, though, so at some point I propped myself up and lit up a cigarette in the dark, just thinking.

So much to do today... I found a few more jobs I can apply for so I'm having to tailor my cover letter according to the position, and that is really one of the most tedious parts of the process.
"You should hire me because... [fill in the gap with the most dubious and ass-kissing terms you can find, really, or something like that]"

I'm sorry... do I sound sarcastic? Well, I can't help it, I guess that's in my nature. I look at most things with a sceptical eye because to me everything in this world is to be doubted first. It doesn't mean that things must remain doubtful, but there is a process needed by which doubt is removed.

So I wrote a message to an old friend of mine yesterday and she replied back last night, although I only saw that this morning.

This is part of what I had written her:

"Hi.... how are you?
It's been such a long time since we last spoke... I know we've kind of drifted apart, and it happens... but I miss my good friend, because you were a good, meaningful friend to me and I wanted you to know that. [...]"

And this is part of her answer:

"
hey sweetie

I know we are not much in contact but i'm always thinking about you and wondering how you are but never doing anything to find out.. sorry! [....] miss you too hun and i'm always here if you need me. hope to see you soon."

We're supposed to meet this coming Thursday, so we'll see.

As I was reading her message on Facebook, I also got to see people's latest updates. It's Monday, therefore most people's updates sound more like rants, and it reminds me of how well conditioned people are in this society. I mean... Comes Friday afternoon, everyone is getting super-excited about the coming weekend - because that's usually when they are finally 'allowed' to relax and do what they feel like doing. Just like clockwork, really. Come Monday morning, and everyone is ranting all over again and living only to get to the next Friday so that in effect people are never able to appreciate the present. How could they when they spend at least 5 days out of 7 in a week wishing they could skip forward already?

One of the most 'powerful' arguments against what I just wrote would be to reply something along the lines of "but what alternative is there?" or "how could it be any different". There is a trick here, though. Those aren't arguments at all, they are a direct reflection of society's influence that convinces us that no better alternative exists and that what we have is necessarily better than nothing.





No comments:

Post a Comment